Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
Qualification Code: SIT30816 | CRICOS Course Code: 0100193
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities. This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops.
The diversity of employers includes restaurants, cafes, clubs, pubs, coffee shops and catering companies, event venues, or organisations that organise their own catering. Work could be undertaken on-site at venues, commercial kitchens or on-site for outdoor events or a combination of both.
This qualification is made up of 25 units of competency (21 core units and 4 elective units).
- SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment
- SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety *
- SITHKOP001 Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
- SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetables, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC006 Prepare appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC014 Prepare meat dishes
- SITXINV002 Maintain the quality of perishable items
- SITHCCC013 Prepare seafood dishes
- SITHCCC012 Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC015 Produce serve food for buffets
- SITHCCC018 Prepare food to meet special requirement
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid**
- SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
- SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITHPAT006 Produce desserts
- SITHCCC017 Handle and serve cheese
- SITHKOP002 Plan and cost basic menus
- SITXWHS002 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risk
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices
- SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
- BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- SITHCCC020 Work effectively as a cook #
*This unit will be delivered by “The Coffee School”
**This Unit will be delivered by “Bondi Training Centre”
#These units will be conducted in the workplace
What will I get from this course?
Job roles related to this course:
- Commercial Cook
- Banquet Cook
- Café Cook
- Bistro Cook
- Kitchen hand
- Salad Hand
- Assistant Cook
Skills you will be developing
- Build a broad range of skills including with specialised food preparation, menu planning and management skills and knowledge of industry to coordinate planning and the safe delivery of operations.
- Learn to operate with autonomy and are be responsible for making business decisions
- Learn knowledge and skills required to work as a skilled operator using a broad range of cookery skills combined with sound knowledge of industry operations.
- Learn to operate with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems
- Have some supervisory responsibilities and need to plan, monitor and evaluate the work of team members